Monday, July 19, 2010

Frozen Biscuits are Awesome.

I wish my job was to write blogs. Because, which is obvious based on my lack of blogging for the past two months, there clearly isn’t enough time in the day to work, do laundry, go to the gym, make breakfast, lunch and dinner, watch my favorite TV shows, cuddle with Bob, Char and Justin, sleep, AND have time to write a fabulous blog. Today I’m lucky to have a few minutes to spare so I thought I’d write another quick life update. And my goal is to try to start writing again at least once or twice a week. We’ll see how that works out.


I am a fan of bulleted lists (duh- have you read the rest of my blog?), and they always seem like the perfect way to sum up three months of life.

• We had the best weekend in New Orleans! We spent time with fabulous friends and saw parts of the city we’d never had the chance to explore before. A ride on the street car, drinks at Margaritaville and a delicious seafood dinner made for a fun-filled weekend. I am in love with the culture, food and lifestyle of New Orleans, and I can’t wait for our next trip back.


• We went camping. Yep, camping. We packed up the car and headed North to Arkansas for a nice night at Lake DeGray State Park. After a quick 2.5 hour drive we arrived at the park and picked out our perfect campsite in the woods. On the way there I asked Justin if he thought we would fight while trying to put up the tent. His answer was simple: yes. Well, shock of shocks, we didn’t fight once. Our tent was up in no time, which meant time to play in the water and grill down on the beach! That was until we realized a big part of the tent was missing- the rain cover. So, it was back in the car to Walmart where we found a giant blue tarp and made our own rain cover. Problem solved. After a delicious dinner on the grill, we spent the night listening to music, eating s’mores and trying to stay warm. I slept like a baby in our comfy tent, and to finish off the weekend Justin took me to Cracker Barrel. And I loved him for it. Camping trip = success!


• I went down to South (and I mean SOUTH) Texas to work on a project, and Justin came down to spend the weekend with me. We met in San Antonio and had the best night on the Riverwalk, complete with delicious Mexican food, cups full of Cactus Juice and lots of singing at our favorite piano bar. The next day we met up with our friend Anne and floated down the Comal River- a blast! The water was freezing, but the fun day was totally worth it. After a delicious dinner at another friend’s house and a quick trip to the Alamo the next morning, the weekend was complete.



• We road-tripped it to South Florida for Memorial Day weekend, and it was fantabulous. We got to spend time with my family, celebrate one of my best friends birthdays (yay Kat!), and spend lots of time with the Future Mr. and Mrs. Andrews! Lizzie’s bridal shower was a huge success, and the 34 wine glasses that I hand-painted (yes, hand-painted) as favors were a hit…I think. We made a quick stop in Niceville on the way home to see Justin’s parents, and ended up spending time with friends that he hadn’t seen in many, many years. All in all a GREAT weekend!

• I proceeded to keep working in South Texas (seven weeks total!) and doing lots of traveling on the weekends. I flew in town the day before Justin’s birthday with just enough time to re-pack my bags for our fun weekend in Houston and to give him his birthday present, which was being stored by our wonderful friends Donny and Lea. Justin saw a globe bar in the SkyMall magazine on our flight to England in 2009 and has been talking about one ever since. So, I decided this was the year to get it for him. Stocked with his favorite liquors and two glasses engraved with his monogram I think he loved his gift.

Then we were off to Houston to spend the weekend with our friends Patty and Travis in their brand new townhome. We did a little shopping, ate a LOT of great food, stopped by the aquarium and finished the weekend off with Justin’s last birthday surprise- the Tool concert. I’m not going to lie- I was a litttttle nervous about my first Tool concert. But despite my ringing ears, I had a great time and the look on Justin’s face while watching his favorite band made the experience totally worth it.

• Lizzie and Ryan tied the knot!! What a perfect weekend. Well, almost perfect. I spent HOURS upon HOURS working on the slideshow for their rehearsal dinner. Being the perfectionist that I am, there were many late nights and frustrated moments, but eventually I had the ideal slideshow. We made it Florida around 11:30 p.m. the night before the rehearsal and it was time to put my creation on a DVD since I had a busy day ahead and wanted to be prepared. Well, in a moment that I still can’t explain and have just chocked it up to pure idiocy, I delete the ENTIRE thing. There were tears. Hysterical, the-end-of-the-world-has-come tears. My lovely, kind, patient boyfriend finally calmed me down and told me to focus. So I did. And by 4:00 a.m. I had recreated my masterpiece (which was great until I realized that I had to be up at 6:30 to be ready for our spa day…mizzy). But the slideshow was a hit, and from our girl’s spa day at the Breakers, the fantastic rehearsal dinner and the gorgeous ceremony, everything was beautiful and fun. I felt lucky to be part of the wedding party and even more blessed when I got to play the piano during the ceremony. I think it went pretty darn well, and that little moment when I caught Lizzie’s eyes while playing her song will stay with me forever. It was amazing to watch my friend who I have known since 1993 marry the boy she met in 3rd grade. It was a true fairytale weekend, and despite the few hiccups, it was, in every sense of the word, perfect. Congratulations L & R!!!

• We hit the road again for a fun 4th of July visiting Justin’s grandparents in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The weather was gorgeous, and I was as happy as a pig in mud with all the scrumptious home cooking and local eateries. We spent lots of time relaxing at the lake, visiting with family, and, of course, EATING! My perfect weekend :)

• We bought the best vacuum the world has ever seen. It’s true. I never thought that spending so much money on a vacuum would make us so happy. But alas, our new Dyson Ball Animal is possibly the best thing we have EVER purchased. After just one time around our apartment we filled that thing up THREE times. And then we vacuumed again. And once more the next day. Our carpets and rugs look amazing, and I now love vacuuming just to see what it will pick up that day. I wish there was a market out there for cat hair because we could have clothed a small country in Bob and Charlotte hair sweaters just after day one…

• We celebrated our two-year anniversary!! I still can’t believe it has been two years since we saw each other at that wedding in New Jersey and never looked back. Our relationship has been wonderful, fun and incredibly exciting every step of the way. It brought us to Shreveport, sent us on trips around the world and made us best friends. I can’t wait to see where the next two years take us.

• I discovered the best biscuits ever. We always have a big breakfast on Saturday and Sunday if we’re at home. It’s fun to cook and it’s even more fun to eat the final product. Well, we were standing in the biscuit isle at the grocery store debating, as we usually do, whether this week we should by flaky layers or homestyle. A nice man offered his opinion of buying a bag of frozen biscuits and just popping them in the oven. Frozen?? I wasn’t so sure. But, we decided to step outside our comfort zone and try them. HOLY CRAP. They are amazing. You take them out of the bag and they look like stupid little crap biscuits- I was so disappointed. But then, miraculously, 26 minutes later you have the most amazing, fluffy, giant biscuits ever. Thank you random man at the grocery store. We are forever indebted to you.

• It got really, really hot in Shreveport. Ungodly hot. The heat index has been between 105-110 degrees every day this past week…insane! The good thing is that we’ve spent some quality time at the pool and I’m starting to get my tan back. Phew.

2010 has already blessed us with so much fun, friends and traveling, and I can’t wait for all the adventures we still have in store for this year. I got a fantastic birthday present from my friend Tracey that included (as well as fab gold sandals, the best inappropriate postcards ever and an awesome CD) an adorable book of quotes. I super love it and thought I would share one of my favorites: “I have always wanted an adventurous life. It took a long time to realize that I was the only one who could make an adventurous life happen to me. “- Richard Bach


No comments:

Post a Comment